Economics Best in Class Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THE CONTEST. The Sponsor of this Contest is Cengage Learning, Inc., 5191 Natorp Blvd., Mason, OH 45040 (the “Sponsor”).
1. ELIGIBILITY: Cengage Learning’s Economist Educators – 2016 Best in Class Award Contest (the "Contest") is open to instructors of undergraduate principles or introductory economics who are legal residents of the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, 18 years of age or older ("Eligible Participant"). Void where prohibited. Employees, directors and officers, and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses), and their respective household members, of Cengage Learning ("Sponsor"), its affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, advertising and promotion agents are not eligible to enter. Promotion is subject to all federal, state, and local laws. Previous winners cannot re-enter the contest until 5 years have passed.
2. CONTEST TIMING: The Entry Period for the Contest begins at midnight (EDT) on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 and ends at midnight (EDT) on Friday, September 30, 2016 (the “Entry Period”). Judging of entries will begin at midnight (EDT) on Monday, October 3, 2016 and end at midnight (EDT) on Friday, October 7, 2016 (the “Judging Period”).
3. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, submit the following two items to https://www.judgify.me/bestinclassecon by Friday, September 30, 2016:
1. A brief Word document (500 – 1000 words) describing your teaching technique and how it has worked for You.
2. The URL for a brief, five-to-eight-minute video that you have posted to YouTube. The video should briefly describe your technique, and –if possible—show it in action.
In both the document and the video, You should outline Your teaching technique. Include brief discussion on the following topics:
• What is the procedure?
• What materials, if any, are required?
• How easy would it be for another instructor at another school to implement it?
• What knowledge, skills, or insights do You hope to introduce or reinforce with this technique?
Entries must be received during the Contest Promotion Period in order to be eligible. There is a limit of one (1) entry per person/email address. Subsequent entries received from the same person/email address in the same promotion period will be disqualified. Incomplete entries or entries not complying with these Official Rules are subject to disqualification. Entries that have been generated by a script, macro, bot, or any other automated means will be deemed void. Proof of mailing or emailing does not constitute proof of delivery. Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries. Sponsor's decisions are final on all matters relating to this Contest. If a dispute results as to the identity of an online entrant, it will be deemed that the online entry was submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address from which the entry is made. For these purposes, the authorized account holder is the natural person assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address.
4. DETERMINATION OF WINNERS: Selection of the final three winners will be determined by NETA. (the “Independent Judges”), between Monday, October 3 and Friday, October 7, 2016, based on the following criteria:
Final winners will be determined on October 7, 2016, with one (1) winner chosen for each of 1st Prize, 2nd Prize, and 3rd Prize. Entrants need not be present to win. The potential winners will be notified by electronic mail and/or USPS mail and/or overnight mail within seven (7) days of the selection. Judges' decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest. The failure to accept a prize within fourteen (14) days of notification, or if prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, will result in the entrant being disqualified, and the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner. Allow 6-8 weeks from confirmation for delivery of prize. Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received for the Contest Period.
• $1,000 cash for the winner
• $500 cash for the winner’s department of economics
• A trip to our 12th Annual Economics Teaching Conference
• $500 cash for the winner
• $250 for the second-place winner’s department of economics
• A trip to our 12th Annual Economics Teaching Conference
3rd Prize• $100 cash for the winner• A trip to our 12th Annual Economics Teaching Conference
The trip to our 12th Annual Teaching Conference includes the reasonable costs of airfare, hotel, and conference meals, and shall, at Sponsor’s discretion, be arranged by Sponsor’s chosen travel service provider. All taxes and any other costs related to the prize not specifically stated within these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prizes are not transferable and no substitutions or cash equivalents are permitted, except that Sponsor may, at its sole discretion, substitute the prize with a prize of equal or greater value. Specifics of the prizes are in Sponsor's sole discretion. All prizes will be awarded.
7. COPYRIGHT. All Entries submitted to the Contest must be original. You must be the sole owner of any copyright and all other intellectual property rights in and to any Entry submitted. Your submission of each Entry is Your acknowledgement, warranty and guarantee that You are the author, creator and/ or sole owner of copyright(s) and other intellectual property rights in and to the Entry submitted. By submitting an Entry, You also represent and warrant that the Entry does not infringe on the copyright, right of publicity, privacy rights or any other intellectual property or other right of any other persons or entity, that You have secured any and all waivers and permissions necessary with respect to persons and subject matter in the Entry and that You have not submitted the Entry to any other contest. You shall retain the copyright to any Entry and all other rights thereto EXCEPT: by entering the Contest, You agree to have Your submitted Entry displayed by Sponsor on the Economist Educators Best in Class Award Website, the Economics Community Website (solutions.cengage.com/economics), and the Cengage Learning YouTube page (www.youtube.com/cengagelearning) without any fee or other form of compensation. In addition, You hereby grant an unlimited royalty free license to the Sponsor to copy, display, perform, store, broadcast, distribute or otherwise use Your Entry for any purpose. You also grant the Sponsor unlimited authority to sublicense such rights to any third party, including, but not limited to, affiliated companies or any trade association. You agree that the Sponsor shall have the exclusive right to edit, creative derivative works of, adapt modify and publish Your Entry and may use it in any media in association with the Contest without attribution or compensation to the You, his or her successors or assignees or any other entity. You agree that the Sponsor will not be liable to You or to any third party for any use, editing, adaptation, modification and/or publication of any Entry.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: YOU HEREBY AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS CENGAGE LEARNING, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AND SHAREHOLDERS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASEES") FROM ANY CLAIMS, ACTIONS, LOSSES, LIABILITIES, COSTS, AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ATTORNEYS' FEES) INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND (COLLECTIVELY, "CLAIMS"), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR ANY CLAIMS ARISING FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, OR PROFIT; LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY; AND ANY CLAIMS BROUGHT BY THIRD PARTIES. PARTICIPANTS AGREE THAT SPONSOR HAS NOT MADE NOR IS IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SPONSOR DOES NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO SPONSOR'S SITE AND SPONSOR SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY INTERRUPTIONS OR ERRORS RELATED THERETO. Releasees are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, damaged, misdirected, or stolen entries or submissions, or problems of any kind, whether mechanical, technical, human, or electronic. Releasees are not responsible for technical, hardware, or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, inability to access a website, complete an online entry form, fraud, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions, or inaccurate transcription of entry information, whether caused by the Sponsor, by users, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions which may damage a user's system or limit a participant's ability to participate in the Contest. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend part or all of this Contest, or modify these Official Rules at any time without notice, if in the judges' opinion there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Contest, or if virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, or other causes corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or integrity and proper play of the Contest. In such event, Sponsor may void any entries they suspect are at issue and award prizes from among all eligible entries received up to the date of cancellation. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN YOU OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR ANY ONLINE SERVICE RELATED TO THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS' FEES) FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an entrant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that entrant's eligibility to participate in the Contest. Any attempts by an individual to access any website associated with this competition via a bot script or other brute force attack or any other unauthorized means will result in the IP address and all entries from that IP address becoming ineligible.
9. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
10. WINNERS' LIST: At the end of the Contest, visit solutions.cengage.com/economics to view submission(s) from the Winners. Winners’ names will be available within two (2) weeks after conclusion of the contest.